Panaji/Saligao: A project for a bungee jumping site in Anjuna has run into rough weather. Villagers alleging that the promoter has resorted to hill cutting in violation of coastal zone regulations (CRZ), 2011, notification. Labourers had started excavations at the site, overlooking the Anjuna beach, allegedly within the no-development zone. Tension prevailed in the village after work started in survey number 206 a few days ago and some villagers gathered at the site and halted the excavation activity on the hill.
The workers fled the scene, while villagers alleged that the excavation appeared to be a preparation to carry out construction activity. The issue was finally temporarily resolved after the police intervened.
Villagers alleged that the project is in violation of provisions of Town and Country Planning Act, 1974, and other regulations. Following complaints to the flying squad team of the North Goa collectorate, the additional collector- I issued a stop work order last week. But, villagers alleged that work continues at the site despite the order. They have sent complaints to member secretaries of Goa coastal zone management authority (GCZMA) and Goa state biodiversity board (GSBB), North Goa collector, TCP and the police.
“This particular area is the only remaining natural scenic spot in Anjuna-Caisua village We don’t want to see it destroyed,” Balbin Malvankar stated in his letter. Environmentalist Joe D’Souza said the “hills of Goa are reservoirs of water and it is dangerous to destabilise the hill”.
Curtorim MLA Aleixo Reginaldo Lourenco told reporters that no permission has been obtained from the administrator of comunidades for the work. Hills must be kept pristine, he said, adding that he will write to the chief minister and revenue minister to conduct a thorough inquiry.
Chairman of the Anjuna Caisua biodiversity management committee, Michael D’Souza. questioned the permission granted.
SOURCE: TIMES OF INDIA
- Two youth die of suspected drug overdose at rave parties at Anjuna beach
- Govt admits MV Lucky 7 could create a major mess in the sea as well as on Miramar beach if not moved immediately
- Rightist Ponda group behind desecration of crosses, cemeteries, Parrikar must resign as he has failed, demands Aleixo Reginaldo Lourenco
- Two more crosses vandalized at Loutolim village today, even as GCAF says Sanatan responsible for desecration
- Sadhvi Saraswati must be hanged for disrespecting the Indian Constitution: Goa MLA Aleixo Reginaldo Lourenco slams Sadhvi for comments on beef, demands FIR
- Entry of 6th Casino into Panjim port can endanger lives, cause huge losses to fisher folk: Aleixo Reginaldo Lourenco
- Funding for Goa By-Polls or Panchayat elections? Parrikar Govt working over time to bring in 6th Casino in Mandovi within 3 days alleges Aleixo Reginaldo Lourenco
- Michael Lobo chief fixer and negotiator, shielding drug dealers, corrupt policemen: Micky Pacheco
- Parrikar interfered and stalled police investigation, did not take things seriously, only blamed Congress and did not push police for results, alleges GCAF
- Guardian Angel Cemetery desecration conspiracy hatched by Sanatan at Ponda, executed by hired thugs from MP: GCAF
- Ponda group Sanatan Sanstha, Sadhvi Saraswati’s thugs from outside Goa, behind vandalisation of crosses, idols in Goa, alleges GCAF
- Gopal Kanda’s company GGHPL paid Rs 5 cr in “bribes” to get approvals for 6th Casino Lucky Seven, alleges IACC
- Sadhvi Saraswati’s rants against secular Hindus, beef eaters, a ploy by VHP, RSS to hide BJP’s failures, says Goa MLA Aleixo Reginaldo Lourenco
- 6th Casino in Mandovi: Govt playing with the lives and livelihood of poor Goan fisherfolk: Aleixo Reginaldo Lourenco
- Narendra Modi Govt has totally failed, beef controversy, cow protection, etc tactics to divert attention of masses: Aleixo Reginaldo Lourenco