NEW DELHI: GST or the Goods and Services Tax, the long-awaited reform with the aim of transforming the nation of 1.2 billion people and its $2 trillion economy into a single market, was launched at midnight. The government promises the new regime will simplify trade by replacing more than a dozen levies with one tax, combat corruption and enrich state coffers by bringing the informal economy into the digital era. Most economists agree the reform is long overdue, but warn the initial shock to the economy is likely to drag, rather than stoke, growth in the short term as businesses adjust.
It took more than a decade to get the GST through parliament and bickering over the particulars now means there are four tax rates — 5, 12, 18 and 28 percent — instead of one as originally envisioned. The sweeping reforms comes less than a year after Prime Minister Narendra Modi withdrew India’s largest banknotes in a sudden move designed to outmanoeuvre tax cheats.
Here’s a look at how the GST will affect prices of some items:
GST – What gets costlier and what gets cheaper
- How GST Will Impact Those Who Don’t Pay Taxes?
- As GST Sets In With Midnight Gong, Twitter Rolls Out Jokes, Memes
- GST: How Will It Impact You In 10 Points
- GST Impact: How Goods and Services Tax Will Affect Prices of Mobiles, Gadgets, Software, and IT Services
- In spite of being a poor country, India’s GST is highest in the world: See what other countries charge
- GST flops on day 1, system and network crashes, dysfunctional billing system has businessmen worried
- Cheaper Or Costlier After GST? Here Are Some Price Changes Announced
- Industry Quote on GST Inputs by Kamal Gupta Managing Director, India for Brand Folio LLC
- What is IGST or Integrated Goods and Service Tax?
- How GST will impact hospitality industry? Mumbai operators a worried lot
- GST impact: Small businesses could under-report income initially
- Home Stays, Service Apartments and Budget hotels seek lower GST tax rate of 5 per cent
- Why the GST might actually end up harming India and small businesses?
- GST: 60 per cent small enterprises could close down, even as small businessmen shudder
- dmexco 2015 Is Linking All of the Worlds of the Global Digiconomy