In another major set back to the BJP, the nomination of their heavyweight candidate and sitting corporator Dr Nayana Vasani was rejected during scrutiny by Returning Officer Archana Kadam.
Vasani had filed her candidature from ward B of panel number 20 in Mira Road. The rejection followed in response to objections raised by Sena and NCP rivals on grounds of suppressing material information in her affidavits related to a particular section of the IPC in a case registered against her at the local police station.
Vasani was in the process of seeking legal remedies to challenge the rejection, sources said.
If a candidate leaves blank any column seeking information on criminal antecedents, educational qualifications, assets and liabilities, then it would result in rejection by the returning officer at the scrutiny stage itself.
However if there is suppression of information or misinformation then it would be decided by a detailed inquiry in an election petition by the court.
SOURCE & CREDITS: AFTERNOON DESPATCH & COURIER
- Even Before MBMC Polls, Congress Candidate Uma Sapar Wins Unopposed
- MBMC Elections: Scared of defections, Parties hold back final candidate lists in Mira Bhayandar
- Mira-Bhayandar news: BJP, Shiv Sena and Congress set to spend totally over Rs 20 crore on MBMC polls
- MBMC polls: BJP leaders Rohini Kadam, Sharad Patil fume as party issues duplicate forms to others
- BJP distributing cash, gifts in Bhayandar East, Mira Road, allege rivals
- MBMC polls: Shiv Sena goes out of its way to woo Gujarati voters in Mira Bhayandar
- MBMC polls: 15 MBMC staffers face FIR, for skipping election duties
- NCP, Bahujan Vikas Aghadi and Mira Bhayandar Sangharsh Morcha to put up a unified fight against BJP in MBMC elections
- Mira-Bhayandar news: MBMC set to spend nearly Rs 4 crore for its civic elections slated for August 20
- MBMC Poll Gossip: Ward No 5, BJP Candidate Meghna D Rawal’s Rs 3 crore BJP ticket?
- Bar owners may soon rule Mira Bhayandar, as BJP MLA Narendra Mehta hands out tickets to hoteliers
- Old-timers and loyalists fume as ‘imported’ candidates crowd BJP-Sena list in MBMC elections
- As BJP and Sena contest MBMC polls separately, Gilbert Mendonca will be the kingmaker
- NCP candidate Larsen D’almeida (Ward No 12) alleges Muzaffar Hussain and Mira Bhayandar Congress unit cheated him
- Scrap toll on local 4-Wheelers at Dahisar Toll Naka from Mira Bhayandar demands Mira Bhayandar Citizens Action Forum (MBCAF)