PANAJI: The Congress kept up the pressure on the state government with Curtorim MLA Aleixo Reginald Lourenco reiterating that the Manohar Parrikar-led coalition government was tacitly supporting Mormugao Port Trust’s (MPT) coal expansion plans.
The Congress MLA asserted that expansion of MPT’s coal handling capacity would only benefit corporates and not Goa.
Responding to chief minister Manohar Parrikar’s statements that Goans should stop consuming electricity if they are against coal, Lourenco said that coal being transported through Goa was being used for steel plants and not for power generation.
Lourenco also urged Parrikar to write to the Union ministry of environment and forests “conveying the factual position of high levels of air pollution emanating from coal handling operations”.
Lourenco demanded that the chief minister make public the copy of his letter written to the centre to not allow expansion of coal handling at MPT.
He said that it was to a question he had tabled, the chief minister had assured that he would write to the central government due to pollution. “Now that he has said that he has written to the centre, my request is that the chief minister should make the copy of the letter public”.
Parrikar has repeatedly slammed activists for protesting against MPT’s expansion plans.
The Congress MLA said Parrikar was keeping his own alliance members in the dark about the “proposal to make Goa a coal hub”.
“Chief Minister is cheating his own alliance partner GFP on river nationalization issue,” the Congress leader said, while expressing confidence that GFP would soon realize its folly.R
The chief minister is cheating his own alliance partner GFP on river nationalization issue
SOURCE: TIMES OF INDIA
- We told Goa 2 months earlier, Atanasio Monseratte was compromised by Parrikar, Babush’s joins GFP to ensure Parrikar’s win in Panaji bypolls
- Nilesh Cabral blames ‘coalition compulsions’ read MGP, GFP and Vijai Sardesai for Casinos, says BJP against Casinos
- BJP spent Rs 1,000 crore to lure Goa MLAs, says Congress, Vijai paid Rs 10 crore CASH
- Babush paid Rs 5 crore to campaign for Parrikar, Ashok Naik threatened, alleges GCAF
- BJP’s Vishwajit Rane confirms his father and senior Congress leader Pratapsinh Rane will not campaign against him in the Valpoi bypolls
- Gopal Kanda’s GGHPL paid Rs 5 cr in “bribes” to get Approvals to Move Casino ship MV Lucky 7 to Mandovi river during the monsoon, alleges IACC
- Govt gave in tamely without a fight and bowed to 6th Casino owner Gopal Kanda, reveals Vijai, adding, “I will not allow the Casino to function” – major differences crop up between BJP and GFP on Casinos
- Gopal Kanda’s company GGHPL paid Rs 5 cr in “bribes” to get approvals for 6th Casino Lucky Seven, alleges IACC
- Parrikar admits he wanted Green Tribunal shifted to Delhi, GCAF alleges builder lobby ‘bribed’ him for NGT transfer
- State Machinery, Ministers on behalf of Parrikar, intimidated Panjim, Valpoi voters, even as 75% voting recorded in Goa by-polls
- Bombay HC taken for a ride, opine experts, as Lucky 7 develops cracks in its hull and a huge hole, vessel may be permanently damaged
- Roulette tables in Goa Casinos ‘fixed’, payout only favors owners, guests cheated and fleeced says Churchill Alemao
- 3 Goa Congress MLAs who cross-voted in Presidential Election “gifted” Rs 15 lakh, boasts senior BJP leader
- ‘AAP does not want to confuse Goa electorate’, backs out of bypolls in Panaji, Valpoi
- After Sadhvi Saraswati, BJP’s dadagiri in Goa: GCAF to move High Court over Amit Shah meeting at Airport