The Russian Foreign Ministry said Thursday that ISIS leader Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi has been killed by an airstrike carried out by the Russian Air Force in Syria in late May.
“It is highly likely that ISIS leader [Abu Bakr] al-Baghdadi was eliminated in an airstrike of the Russian Air Force on a militant command post in a southern suburb of the city of Raqqa in late May,” Russian Deputy Foreign Minister Oleg Syromolotov told Sputnik News, citing data provided by the Russian Defense Ministry.
Baghdadi’s death is now being verified through “various channels,” Syromolotov said.
However, Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov said he could not give a solid proof that Baghdadi was eliminated.
The Russian Defense Minister said on June 16 that the ISIS leader might have been killed during an ISIS military council meeting by a Russian airstrike on May 28 south of the militant group’s stronghold of Raqqa in Syria.
Meanwhle, the Iraqi Prime Minister Haider al-Abadi said on Thursday that the “liberation” of the city of Mosul from ISIS will be announced in a few days.
“It’s a matter of a few days and we will announce the total liberation of Mosul,” Abadi told reporters in Baghdad, according to al-Sumaria.
- Iraq’s PM arrives in Mosul, says ‘the great victory is at hand’
- Syrian rights body confirms death of ISIS chief Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi
- Palmyra’s Temple of Bel destroyed by Islamic State militants, says UN: BBC Report
- China-Russia alignment on North Korea raises eyebrows
- Pentagon confirms Predator drone deployment in Latvia
- Trump Team Met With Lawyer Linked to Kremlin During Campaign
- From over 2.61 lakh in ’13-14 to 1 lakh in ’16-17, Russian Tourists to Goa fall by 1.5 lakh over 3 years
- Qatar to seek compensation for damages from Arab blockade
- California fires spread quickly, evacuation orders lifted in other parts of West
- Local job says Maha ATS: Goa dentists get extortion threats signed by dead ISIS founder ‘Abu Zarqawi’
- Over 20,000 Russian Tourists to Goa cancel bookings due to hike in Charter Fares to Goa caused by AAI deposit hike
- Indian filmmaker Maneesh Singh, model Arshi Khan threatened by Jaish-e-Muhammad over film Green Terror
- Thanks to Afridi, Arshi Khan more searched in Pak than Kareena, Katrina and Deepika put together
- No objection to NOC, Oman govt poll reveals
- Oman news: CD game for children withdrawn due to immoral content